3 THINGS TO CONSIDER BEFORE STARTING A BLOG
Today is my three month blogging anniversary!
It feels like it’s been longer because I have learned so much in the past three months! I have always been an open book, loved encouraging people, and enjoyed sharing things that I’m passionate about.
And I have been sharing that type of content on my Instagram for years.
If you are an OG follower, then you know at one point I even had a Youtube channel. It wasn’t until February 12th that I created a permanent home for my content and launched heysamantha.com!
A few weeks ago, I put a poll in my stories and found out that several of you are bloggers, too. So I thought that this would be a great time to share some of the things to consider if you are considering starting a blog or if you just started to blog.
Having a plan will be vital to you being successful and will help you reach your goals faster. Start by asking yourself the questions below:
- Why do you want to start a blog? Will it be a hobby? Or do you want to earn money? If it is to earn money- What will your monetization plan be; Brand deals, Affiliate links, ads, sponsored posts are all ways that you can earn money from your Blog, but you have to be clear on which ones you will choose.
- What will your Blog be about: Often referred to in the blogging community as a “Niche: It is the topic and type of content you will make. Make sure that you choose a topic that you really enjoy and that you can write about frequently.
- Who will read your Blog? Before you start making content decide who are you making it for? Who is your ideal reader|? The way that you speak in a fashion blog to a woman ages 18-35 will be different than the way that you will talk to couples ages 40-50 in a blog about finances.
- How will you promote your Blog? After you take the time to write and edit a blog post, Take and edit a photo and post it, you want to make sure that people will read it! – That will require you to promote your work! Get your Pinterest Pins Ready, Hop on over to Facebook, and Engage on Instagram!
This one may seem like a given, but you will need to make time for your Blog. Here is a list of things that you will need to build into your schedule
- Researching, writing, editing, and scheduling blog posts.
- Take and editing photos.
- Social Media- Writing Posts, hashtag research, engaging with similar accounts etc.
Remember to give yourself extra time at first to complete these tasks, because there may be a learning curve.
Having people around you that you can ask for help or hire to help you will be one of the best decisions that you make in your blogging career.
I first had the idea to start my Blog back in about 2017, and one of the reasons that it took me so long to launch was because I didn’t know how to build my website.
I purchased several themes and tried to build my site, but it was WAY harder than I thought, and I didn’t have the patience. After two years of trying to figure things out on my own and failing miserably, I finally broke down and hired someone. She was able to complete my website in a month, and accomplish what I had been trying to do for the past two and a half years-Yikes!
That taught me a valuable lesson- Know when to hire a professional! There are somethings that you can DIY, but if you cant, save yourself time and money and hire someone who can!
I have had so much fun learning how to create content, the past few months! The info above is just a small bit of what I have learned, and I hope the information helps you. If you want to know anything else, feel free to contact me, and I will help you any way that I can!